Saturday, August 8, 2009

Summer Time

Hey everyone - been out of touch over the summer, but still working toward the goal. Last post was in May, and since then I've lost a little more weight - about 5 pounds - I way in at 257 - 13 pounds down from when I started April 28th. But more importantly, the habits are changing. I'm thinking about what I take in and making decisions less impulsively. Also I recognized when I'm making bad decisions. One of the hardest things for me is when we have family get togethers because they've always revolved around having our favorite things to eat in abundance! I'd like to hear any comments about how to deal with that without being a party pooper . . .

One of the things I've found out about myself through this effort is that I do not like to hear input from my wife - even if it's very gentle and in the form of a question. Example: we're watching a movie and I go to make a snack and she says something like "haven't you already had a snack today? Do you think you need that?" She doesn't nag or raise her voice, only asks a simple question, and then leaves it up to me to make a good decision. I'm thankful for it, but it's hard to hear it in the moment. I guess that's kinda like when God asks questions in the middle of temptation, and then we have to make a choice to take His way out or do our own thing.
Every day is a series of little choices that add up to who we really are . . .

two-thirds signing out.

1 comment:

  1. Hey bro, found this little blog and it is encouraging to read it. I myself have similar problems with eating too much when it is there and oh so good. Delivering pizza at Papa Johns is a challenge when there is a pizza there to be eaten. I guess I should have a battle plan going in and stick to it. My wife suggested taking a lunch with me. Why should I waste perfectly good pizza. Maybe limit myself to only one slice. Self control. Moderation. Eliminating empty calories would be a place to start for me I guess. Being active every day is another way to increase metabolism and giving a person more energy. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete